Online Media Source For Enid Lifestyle, Culture & Entertainment


Humphrey Heritage Village

Humphrey Heritage Village

Humphrey Heritage Village sits on the grounds of the Cherokee Strip Regional Heritage Center. The village is a living history featuring four historically buildings.

There is the 1893 US Land Office. This is the only remaining Land Office from the 1893 land run.  It was originally located on the East side of the Enid city square. Twenty-one thousand homestead claims were filed at this office.

Next is the 1896 Turkey Creek School. This school was the one-room school serving the students of the Imo area from 1896 until 1947. The school was restored to its original appearance and is equipped like it would have been in 1910. It is often used as a living History classroom for elementary students.

1902 Church was the first Episcopal Church in Enid built in 1902. Reverend Francis Key Brooke came to Enid with the run. His first sermon was preached to 60 people from the back of a wagon on the East side of the square. Today it is often used for programs, weddings, and lunches.

Last but not least is the 1905 Glidewell House, home of James W and Alice Glidewell. The house was originally located near Helena. J W was a banker, Justice of the Peace and a self taught lawyer. Alice and James had two daughters and one son. Lots of the furnishings are original family items.

The CSRHC often uses the buildings for holiday events, history lessons and lots more.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
[two-fourth first]
[/two-fourth] [two-fourth last]
[/two-fourth]


X